Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My first Chinese Thanksgiving

This is Thanksgiving last year.  Looks like a mix of emotions at the table.
It was a bit strange to spend Thanksgiving in China.  They don't really have anything like it except for Chinese New Years which seems to encompass all of our Western holidays.  I don't think they quite get the concept of Thanksgiving.  Our Chinese teachers told the students to write something on a post it and stick it on the wall by the elevators.  They didn't tell them to write what they are thankful for but rather to write a note to someone they're thankful for.

It made me realize that we really don't do that on Thanksgiving.  We say what we're thankful for but we don't necessarily thank people. Maybe thanking people is something we should start.

I am thankful for so many things this Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving I never could have imagined I would be in China this year.  I'm very grateful that I never know where my life is taking me.  I've had experiences not many people get to have.  I'm thankful for all the people I've met from all over the world - China, the Philippines, England, Australia, Ireland, South Africa, and the United States. I've learned and gotten a different perspectives of the world from all of them. 

I am incredibly thankful for my supportive friends and family.  I've said it before but I never could have done this without them.    I miss them more than they know.  I am also thankful for all the care packages and emails.   Life savers!

On Thanksgiving I canceled my classes and decided to treat it like a real Thanksgiving -trying not to do much.  First, I went to KTV (karaoke) with some of the Chinese teachers from school - ok so that's not like a real Thanksgiving but somehow in China it seems appropriate.  After that we had a Thanksgiving dinner at an Italian restaurant owned by a Japanese man.  It was actually really good.  The only trace of China in the meal was dessert.  It was a fruit pizza. Yep crust, apples, and cheese.  It was good but a very disappointing Thanksgiving dessert.  Luckily I know a place that has pumpkin pie so I think I will stop by for a slice this week. 

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: