Wednesday, March 14, 2012

End of the 2nd, beginning of the 3rd....

Class photos from semester #2:
 (There are 2 sets of twins in this class.  Every week when I walked into the classroom they cheered.  Love them!)

(This is my favorite class of little ones.  They are so miniature and cute.  They behave perfectly and I'm lucky to have them again this semester.)

 (This is my least favorite class of little ones.  They're cute but out of control.  During my last class they started to say 'bye-bye!' about 3 minutes early.  We couldn't get them to stop so I left.  Of course I'm 'lucky' enough to have them again this semester too.)

 (During one class I was kneeling down next to one of these girls and she put her arms around me and gave me a kiss.  So cute!)

 (Probably my least favorite class.   2 hours of trying to get these students to participate.)

 (This is my highest level class.  They were talkative and all had different personalities.  It was fun to be their teacher!)

Time is flying now. A year ago I was starting my very first semester as a teacher.  I was completely out of my element, overwhelmed, and definitely not confident in my teaching skills.  It was hard not to think about what I had given up to come to China.  A year later and everything feels so much better.  However, my schedule this semester is rough and absolutely would have made me quit if it was my first semester.  I have 25 classes.  18 of them are with 3, 4, and 5 year olds. This means the parents are in the classes and I sing and jump around for 18 classes.  It's funny how during my first semester these classes were my least favorite and during my second semester they were my favorite.  18 is a bit much though.   They've luckily scheduled breaks for me!

I also had the highest resign rate at my school!  Out of the 5 foreign teachers I had the most students resign for this semester.  They gave me 500元($71)!

Highlights from my first weekend:
*A little 4 year old boy couldn't get anything to come out of this mouth.  He would move it but he couldn't make any sounds.

*There are a handful of students that have me for their 3rd semester in row.

*I had to sing 'If you're happy and you know it' all by myself for about 5 minutes. (Usually I refuse to sing in class.)

*Now that I can understand a lot of what the kids are saying it can be cute and it can also be surprising.  Many kids point at my nose and say it's long.  A 4 year named Sunny said my nose was long and he didn't like me (the foreign teacher).  He was also telling the Chinese teacher that her mouth was not pretty and her eyes are dark.  He's evil!

*My premature 'bye-bye' class started saying '听不懂 (I don't understand)' to everything.  Billy started it at one side of the room and it spread to the other.    Billy loves attention and he's actually cute -he smiles with his whole face, from his mouth to his eyes.   It's hard to be mad at him.

*It's entertaining to learn everyone's English names.  This semester I have Rainbow, Smart, Teddy, Fanny, Cinderella, Vampire (again) and other funny ones that disappeared into the blur of the weekend.  I still have Julie and I named a kid Jonathan (after my brother and sister).

*My least favorite moment was when I sat in a 4 year old's chair and put my hand right in snot.  Sooooo gross.  I wiped most of it on a chair and the rest of it on another kid. When class was over I ran to the bathroom to wash my hands with the watery soap.  YUCK. 

No comments: