Friday, April 6, 2012

Chinese home #2

For the past year I've been living in an apartment provided by the school I work for.  I've had 2 great roommates but I didn't want to play roommate roulette for a third time.  I decided to look for my own place.

One of the Chinese teachers at my school knew of a great place for me.  It's one of her uncle's apartments and she lives 4 floors above me.  It's brand new - which has one draw back - I've had no heat for the last month of winter.  When buildings are first built they usually don't turn on the heat right away because there aren't enough people living in the building. I survived.
There are 32 floors in this building (it's 1 of 4 buildings in the complex) with about 12 apartments on each floor.  I have 2 bedrooms.  One is small and now houses the refrigerator.  
The other is a good size with a rack to hang my wet clothes on by the window.  It is close to work and close to school.  I'm near a park, a cafe, a Walmart, and lots of buses.

In China you have to pay 6 months upfront.  The apartment costs 1300RMB / month ($216).   My work pays me 1,000RMB/month for living expenses. Hopefully when summer hits I won't want to jump out my 21st floor window because there's no AC.

No comments: