Saturday, April 21, 2012

Annoying elevator rides

Lately I've been feeling annoyed with Chinese people.  I'm trying to get past it because it's really hard to live in a land of all Chinese people if I don't like Chinese people. 

One thing that bothers me is riding in the elevators with them. Now that I have an elevator in my building I ride it at least a couple times a day. 

Annoyance #1:  Smoking in the elevator.  Yuck.  There's not much more to say about it - it's just gross.

Annoyance #2:  Pushing the open and close button.  Maybe I've been away for too long but I think in most elevators back home we don't know where these buttons are unless someone is running for it as the doors are going to close.  Even then we can't seem to find the right button and often push close instead of open. Am I right or have I been away for too long??  I think I'm right - I lived in a high rise in downtown Chicago before coming here and I would have remembered this.  The Chinese press the close button over and over.  MAYBE this makes the doors close 1/2 a second sooner.  They do this so much that the button is already broken in my brand new building....

Finally what annoys me with elevators is that they're in such a ruch to open and close the doors and then they exit the elevator and walk slowly down the dark narrow hallway. 

I guess the reason for this goes back to them not wanting to feel left behind.  Though, they have no problem leaving other people behind. 

Unfortunately I'VE started doing it even when I'm in the elevator alone and I know no one is going to knock me out of the way to press the button. Ahh!!

No comments: