Monday, April 16, 2012

Come on! Come on!

When I'm 'teaching' (ie playing games) the kids always yell 'COME ON! COME ON!' to their team members.  If they forget they're in English class they say '加油!加油!(jia you, jia you)'.

Today I wanted to Skype a message of encouragement to my friend studying for a Chinese exam.  I found the characters and read the definition of 加油 - 1: oil; lubricate.  2: refuel  3: make an extra effort.  If you look at the characters separately 加 means to add something, 油 means oil, fat, grease; to apply oil, fat, or grease; oily, greasy, stained or smeared with oil or grease.    Basically you're saying 'add some oil!  add some oil!'.  In a way it sort of makes sense.  I hear it so often I think I will forever say '加油 加油‘ to myself when I need some extra encouragement. 

No comments: