Thursday, July 19, 2012

第一学期 = 完了!(1st semester = FINISHED!)


It wasn't always easy but I made it through my first semester of University.  It was a strange feeling to study for exams again and to get a nervous feeling on the day of exams.  But it was a great feeling to be finished! 

I got an 86% in the listening class, 88% in writing and reading, and 90% in speaking.  I feel like I made a lot of progress this semester but after having just a couple weeks break I want to dive back in and learn more. 

Soooooo now what?!

*I just started a speaking class 4 hours a week.   My University class was around 25 students so the speaking time was very limited.   I joined a class that only has 2-3 students.  I feel my fluency improving already.

*Study for the 汉语水平考试 (HSK - Chinese proficiency test).  There are 6 levels and I'm going to study for level 3 / 4. 

*Memorize tones.  There are so many elements to the Chinese language.  Everyone says something usually has to be neglected in order to keep up. We learned around 800 characters this semester and I mostly kept up with the pronunciation, meaning, and how to write them.  What I neglected were tones.  Tones are important because they change the meaning of the word.  So hours of flashcards here I come!

*I have small daily goals such as being more patient with Chinese people (ahhh!), working out, reading, writing in my Chinese journal, watching Chinese TV (snooze), catching up with True Blood, staying in better touch with family and friends, etc.

*Figure out my next move.  I'll be home for the holidays.  I'm sooooooo excited!  Then, I would like to come back to China to study for another year.  For the next couple months I'll be figuring out the best city for me to live, work, and study.

1 comment:

Katarina H. Allen said...

Hey Joy, I have been reading your blog for awhile now and I have enjoyed your posts/adventures very much. The reason why I'm reading is because I will be teaching in Xianyang, China starting September first after I go through the LanguageCorps training in August. So our journeys are quite similar and it was nice to read about how an American is adapting to China. My email is allen.kat12@gmail.com if you would like to talk more or if you have any tips for me before I leave the U.S., Thanks, Kat