Thursday, July 12, 2012

A foreign girl dating in China


Recently I got into a discussion on a Xi'an message board about why Chinese guys rarely have foreign girlfriends.  Foreign guys never have a problem getting a (or 10) Chinese girl.   Since the guys were just speculating because no foreign girls were responding I decided to give them my reasons for not dating Chinese guys.  I get many questions about my dating life in China so I thought now was a good time to start explaining why I haven't dated in China.  This is my response on the message board:

A guy doesn't need a 6 pack but someone that takes care of himself would be nice.  This is one reason why I prefer not to date Chinese guys.   I miss guys with muscles that work out, eat healthy, don't smoke and drink till they puke, etc.  I know this is a broad generalization but I haven't met many Chinese guys that care about health and hygiene.  This is definitely important when I'm dating back home.  I wouldn't date a foreign guy that didn't take care of himself either.
As for the other reasons I don't date Chinese guys:
-The movie that was posted earlier made a point of saying Chinese guys aren't honest.  I have found the opposite.  In my experience they have been too honest.  A friend reminded me that maybe they are only this way with foreigners because they think that's what we want.  Maybe they aren't so open with Chinese girls. 
-A lot of Chinese guys don't speak very good English - or English at all.  I can only see frustrations coming from this.  How can you really get to know someone?  Obviously it happens but I don't see it happening for me in China.
-I want to get to know someone and not have the pressure of a relationship right away.  But with Chinese guys there is pressure from the moment you meet them. The last guy I met said (after 'knowing' me for an hour) he wanted to be my boyfriend and his dad was going to like me.
-The biggest reason: I haven't found anyone that could make me see past the cultural differences - of which there are countless.   The girls seem to be open to change but the guys seem to be more traditional.  I don't like the way I've been treated here as a woman and I don't like the way Chinese women are treated.

This was about as honest as I could get and everyone agreed with me.  When I've talked about these reasons with Chinese girls they understand.  Not many have said I should try dating a Chinese guy (except when they suggest ways to improve my Chinese). Of course I've met guys that break the stereotypes but that's rare and they still aren't guys I would date.  

As for foreign guys, there are actually quite a few of them compared to the number of foreign girls.  However, they either came here with their girlfriend or more often they have or want a Chinese girlfriend.  That doesn't leave a lot of options for foreign girls but it does happen.  There's not much pressure to date and that's actually, sometimes, been a nice change.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I definitely did not expect to end up dating (and now marrying) my Chinese husband.

Granted, I find Asian men very attractive, but for me communication was a big issue.

So it wasn't until my Mandarin was decent enough and I met my future-husband (who's English was very good) before I seriously considered dating.

And now I couldn't be happier :)

So just keep your options opening. China has a way of surprising you!

Joy said...

Hi Kara! I'm so glad you are happy with your Chinese husband. :-) China does have a way of surprising me in other ways, so why not love? hmmm....still hard to believe it could happen. I will definitely think about keeping my options though.