Friday, September 28, 2012

Anti-Japanese Riots in Xi’an, China

I do my best to be on the side of the Chinese. They have surrounded me for 18 months and I am living in their country. Through the ups and downs I always try to see things from their point of view and even if I can't understand why they do some things at least I try to withhold judgments.


The Japanese and Chinese have been fighting over Japanese controlled islands for years.  I don't think the details of this argument are very important. Since I arrived in China I've been aware of the Chinese hate for the Japanese. My first clue was when my 7-year-old student was playing with the globe of the world ball and gave Japan the finger. Students have made quite a few anti-Japan comments in class. But they're kids, they don't know any better.

A couple weeks ago the adult population took it to another level. They are a selfish group of people. This is something I know and I accept. If I lived in a world with an intense level of competition and a huge population (not to mention a world of only children) I might be the same way.  Recently their selfish side came out in an ugly way. They destroyed other's property. They attacked cars and restaurants that were Japanese. Does hurting their own people because they need to work and drive a car seem rational?

Even protests are good money making opportunities.
As a foreigner walking around during this time I don't feel especially comfortable.  Why would they do anything to me? But why are they doing this in the first place. They're acting in an irrational and ignorant manner. 

Chinese flags were carried by adults, carried by children, flown on the outside of huge shopping malls, small shops, and on cars and motorbikes. I wish I had gotten a sense of community from all of this. Instead it felt like a carnival.  Funny enough their word for demonstration (游行) is also the same word for parade. Instead of trying to avoid the violence by staying home they were out in huge numbers eating ice cream and taking pictures.

I'm not taking sides in this fight.  The Japanese were awful to the Chinese years ago.  I just don't agree with how the Chinese have acted. 

In the days following this day the Chinese were once again forbidden to protest.  During class the next day we watched one of the busiest streets in Xi'an become closed off to cars and pedestrians.  The gates were completely closed to anyone trying to enter the city. No one was allowed to protest.

I've had many days in China when I've questioned why I am here.  This day was a big one.  I was reminded how selfish and ignorant Chinese people can be.  However, I don't believe this is a big enough reason to abandon a country I've grown to love, hate, and be fascinated with all in the same moment. 

No comments: