Monday, December 19, 2011

Dorothy update

I ran into Dorothy at the gym.  I was walking over to use the treadmills when I noticed a woman that looked like Dorothy.  I thought to myself what are the chances it could be Dorothy but decided to look just to be sure it wasn't her -but of course it was her!  We were the only 2 people in the gym.  She came and talked to me for a while.   She said my manager was American and I asked how she knew that.  She admitted to coming to school to look for me and to watch my classes.  She asked me the most random questions.  'I think you like Chinese kids.'  'Do you have someone special in your life now'  'I think you're very independent'  'I've been sending you some texts' (I said thank you for the texts - the ones I've been completely ignoring)   She asked about my fat roommate with the big eyes.  (My old roommate is definitely not fat but she's very tall so the Chinese mistake this for being fat.)  Then she said something about being thankful for my friendship. 

Finally I said I had to go - she wasn't getting my hints that I actually wanted to work out.  I thought leaving was the best way to get rid of her. 

My coworker (also named Joy) came to work a couple days later and said she ran into a woman in her apartment building.  She knew the story of Dorothy and immediately thought of her.  It turned out it was her!  They live in the same building.  For a city of 8 million people it's sure feeling small here.

Luckily, I haven't heard anything from her in a while.  I thought about friending her because I always seem to have a good laugh after our conversations.  But, that's not a very nice reason to be friends with someone.

No comments: