Thursday, December 1, 2011

I'm getting married!

Just kidding!  But that's how it feels in China.  The way I find out someone has a boyfriend is by hearing they're getting married.  I was talking to a friend 4 months ago about being single.  She really wanted to get married.  Her father had already purchased all the firecrackers for her wedding so she was also feeling some pressure from her parents.  A few weeks ago she tells me she's getting married in January.  I don't think I will ever get used to these surprise announcements.  I had no idea she started seeing someone in the past few months.  Technically she has already been married on paper -which is usually how it works in China.  The wedding photos and papers are taken and signed months before the actual weddings.  There might be multiple weddings - one with his family and one with her family.  There isn't a big engagement they just decide they're getting married. 

The wedding photos make me laugh.  I can't remember if I knew the Chinese took cheesy photos before coming to China but they take cheesy photos all the time - even sitting in Starbucks.  What did they do before cameras?  I think the wedding photos are especially cheesy.  They get all dressed up in different costumes - one of which is a white wedding dress - and take pictures all over the place.  The clothes are just costumes.  The wedding dress in the picture is not the dress they will wear at their wedding.

This is a typical photo shoot:

With the pictures they make a gigantic book of pictures and cheesy English words.  Below is a page from my friend's book.  I have to say that other than the words their wedding photos are the least cheesy I've seen. 


No comments: