Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reading and writing Chinese

I've started reading and writing characters.  I wish I would have started learning them from the beginning.  At first I was so concerned about speaking - I didn't want to put in the time to learn characters but I wish someone would have told me it's not THAT hard and it makes so much more sense.

Texts with my tutor have gone from this:



To this (actually most of our texts are entirely characters now - this is a bit old):
 

My homework looks like this:
 

My lessons look like this:



It's really fun!  The characters can be hard to read out loud and remember the pronunciation but having something to associate with the pinyin word really helps me remember words - especially when there are so many of the same words.    It's fun to sit on the bus and read all the passing signs.  They become clearer and clearer every day.

There are 4 different characters and meanings associated with the word tang.
1. 汤 tang with the 1st tone means soup. 
2. 糖 tang with the 2nd tone means sugar.
3. 躺 tang with the 3rd tone mean to lie down or recline.
4. 烫 tang with the 4th tone means very hot.

My teacher told me these are the 4 things that will make you fat.  I didn't know eating hot foods made you fat.  The Chinese swear it does though!

No comments: