Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My new name - 卓乐

I have a new Chinese name. I didn't really like my first name and asked my tutor if she could think of a new one for me.  By now she knows me pretty well so I felt she could come up with a name that actually meant something to me.   It came to her while she was sleeping and I have to say I don't think there is a more perfect name for me.  Unlike our names in the west the Chinese names mean something.  Names can often be funny or weird but I can imagine this makes it harder to name children.  Ok, some of our names in English also mean something.  Like JOY!   But I don't think the meaning of a name is as important to us as it is to the Chinese.  Sometimes they will change their name after seeing a 'fortune teller'.  A name could turn out to be unlucky or if a child is really sick sometimes they think it's good for them to start fresh with a new name.

This is my Chinese name:  卓乐 (zhuo yue)

The way it sounds is 'jour ua'.  It sounds very close to the way Joy sounds.   卓 means 'outstanding'.   乐 has a couple of meanings (when put with other characters) and Vicky picked it because I really like the way 东 (east) character looks - 乐 looks similar.  One meaning is 'happy, cheerful, joyful.'  The other meaning is 'music'.  Together 卓 and 乐 mean 'outstanding, brilliant remarkable'.  It's a lot to live up to - just like my English name - but isn't it a perfect name for me?  She brought together the sound of Joy, the important part music has played in my life, one of my favorite characters, and the meaning of my English name.    Brilliant!


No comments: