Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Biking in Yangshuo

When discussing occupations in one of my classes I asked them which job they didn't want.  They answered overwhelmingly that they did not want to be a farmer.  When I asked why they said because the work is too hard and tiring.  This week while biking through the country side I witnessed the tedious work of the farmers.  Everything is done by hand.  I saw a weathered old woman carrying bundles of sticks and another carrying bundles of hay.  They appear to have lived hard lives and look to be in their 80's - though they're probably around 50 or 60.

I enjoy the quietness of the country. I followed a small road through the crops, through the mountains, and all the way to the Li River. It was beautiful and only saw a few farmers, some cows, and a couple motorbikes.












No comments: