Monday, August 15, 2011

Yangshuo accommodations: Trippers Guest House and Retreat


Trippers Guest House was a fantastic place to stay.   At first I was worried it was too far away from the center of town but it only took a minute to realize that was exactly what I needed.  I've always lived and nearly always vacationed in big cities.  I've been missing out on the quietness of being outside a city.  The location really couldn't be better.  It only takes about 10 minutes to bike into the center of town, there's a beach close by, and it is surrounded by hills to make for a great view wherever you are. 

 (This is the bar / restaurant / cafe area at the Guest House.  There's a nice atmosphere at any time of the day.)

The staff was incredibly helpful and I always felt taken care of.  They seemed to be able to make anything happen.  I rented a bike for the week and saved time and money having my own transportation.  The bike was in great shape and I always saw them checking the tires to make sure they stayed in great shape.

When Charlotte left I decided to move over to the newly opened retreat that the same owners opened a month earlier.

The retreat is just down the road from the guest house.  I'm glad I stayed there though I think the guest house is a bit better for the solo traveler.  At the guest house there is a dorm room so other people are also there traveling by themselves.  The retreat attracts more couples.  Both are owned by a Belgian / Chinese couple which seems to be a winning combination to make a Chinese vacation comfortable and enjoyable.  The staff spoke English very well.

The owners had a nice presence around both places, were very friendly, and there if we needed something the front desk couldn't take care of or if the front desk was busy.  The rooms were nice and very clean. 

The food was reasonably priced and they served Western and Chinese foods - the same at both places.  I ate most of my meals there because it was usually cheaper and better than what I would find in town.  The breakfast was a perfect size in the morning and exactly what I've been missing in China - eggs, toast or baguette (butter and jelly), fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice.  I met a lot of people over my 8 nights and no one had a bad thing to say about any of the food they ordered.  The apple crumble was amazing. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.  You don't get dessert like that very often in China. 

If you go to Yangshuo you must stay here!   I will definitely be going back.

No comments: