Thursday, March 3, 2011

Aw kohn Cambodia!

Pronounced AW KOON and means thank you!

Today I'm flying to Xi'an, China.  I connect through Guangzhou, China.  Each flight is only a few hours. I arrive at 11pm tonight.  I have 3 friends traveling with me which is great.  We all fly to the same airport and then they take a bus to their city.  I am completely starting over again in China.  New country, new people, new language, new currency, new food, it'll be cold there compared to Cambodia, new students (I taught 17-21 year olds in Cambodia.  I'll teach 4-16 in China), new school, new apartment. I start teaching already on Saturday.  I will work a total of 20 hours per week - most of those hours are on the weekend. I actually feel prepared to teach.  We'll see how I feel when I have class after class after class this weekend.

I'm excited and ready to settle in to Xi'an.  Since May I've packed up my suitcases 7 times!  It's going to be a luxury staying in one place for a year.  (As long as I like it)

I can't believe I'm leaving Cambodia already.  One month in Phnom Penh hardly seems long enough.  English teachers are needed here so you never know, I could come back.    I wouldn't mind learning more about the Khmer culture.

I'm not sure when I'll have the internet or what I'll have access to.  So in the meantime here are some highlights of my time in Cambodia.


My first morning in Phnom Penh.  Coffee with Tanya and Mariola while watching wrestling.



Royal Palace
The Villa (My home in Phnom Phen)
.$.50 beers!
Eating tarantula!
School

Angkor Wat
Dara - tuk tuk driver / security guard
The Beach
Eating fruit on the beach

Getting blood drawn at the hospital

I took this outside the villa.
Post Office

National Anthem

A cow at the orphanage
Chinese class and Davy our teacher.

Fresh coconut after the gym


Teaching

My first class!



1 comment:

Linder said...

What you are doing has great worth Joy!

I hope that China is kind to you and you find yourself loving it as much as Cambodia.

It must all feel a little large at the moment but you are a strong, vibrant woman. I am certain this will be stunning on so many levels.

Thank you for keeping up with your blog. I enjoy hearing about all that your life is encompassing.