Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Chinese apartment




My apartment is on the 7th floor and since there are only 7 floors there is no elevator. If there were 8 floors the building would have to have an elevator. So the heavy bags I paid an arm and a leg for had to be carried up the stairs. Yikes.

My roommate's name is Lorynn and she’s from South Africa. We teach at the same school. Our apartment has 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, living room, and a weirdly arranged kitchen. The bathroom smells but I think we're slowly getting used to the smell. Not sure if that's good or bad. In general all bathrooms seem to smell here. We have a water tank on the roof that we need to fill so we can have a hot shower. It takes 40 minutes to heat the water. Some planning definitely goes into showering and figuring out how much water the tank needs and when you need to get up to plug in the water heater. Otherwise the apartment is fine.

The door / locks are a bit weird. One night after a long day of teaching I hit a wrong button on the lock and the key holes were blocked. It was fun trying to explain that to the security guard who didn’t speak English. I literally made my hand into a hole and stuck my finger in it- then put my hand in front of my other hand to show it was blocked. Nothing like crude gestures to make someone understand you.

We also have access to the roof. I'm not sure what to do up there but it's a nice view.



LIVING ROOM


MY BEDROOM


WASHER


BATHROOM - The shower is just behind the toilet. Everything is in one room. This is after it was cleaned.


LORYNN'S ROOM


KITCHEN #1 - Refrigerator, microwave, and pantry.


KITCHEN #2 - Sink and dishes.



THE ROOF






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice room tour!! We recently compiled a Chinese apartment guide, care to contribute a few thoughts? Thanks in advance!