Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Superstars!

This weekend I taught a class about family and family members.  I decided to bring in a few pictures of my own family.  The students were incredibly interested in the pictures. Before I knew it half the class was out of their seats and standing right in front of me looking at the pictures.  I had the Chinese teacher translate what one of the girls was saying because she REALLY wanted me to know and couldn't explain in English. She said my grandma looks young and stylish!  I couldn't agree more.  It was funny that a Chinese girl pointed it out.  When I told her my Grandma was 85 she could not believe it. 

This is the picture:


Trying to guess someone's age here is difficult.  I have parents in some of my classes and I cannot tell how old they are.  I would think they're around my age because their children are young,  but most of them look older.   I think it might have something to do with the one child policy.  I still have a lot to learn about that.

I also showed them a picture of my sister.  The Chinese teacher saw it first and immediately said Julie looks like an American super star!  At first she couldn't remember her name but about a minute later she said Scarlett Johansson.  My sister seems to get this a lot - even all the way in China apparently!

No comments: