Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One of my favorite neighborhood restaurants


We've figured out that if we walk left out of our apartment it's the richer part of the neighborhood.  If we walk right it's the poorer part.  However, the restaurants and vendors to the right are cheaper and in my opinion better than the restaurants in the richer area.  


This place is fantastic.   Lorynn went there first with a Chinese person so she knew what to order when just the 2 of us went back.  The menu isn't in English of course so we just point to what we want.   I have no idea how it translates but we get the first item that's 3.5 and the 3rd from the top that's 4.5.  This comes to 8RMB or a little over 1USD.

The first thing is a 'Chinese hamburger'.  I've had it quite a few different places and this one is the best so far.  I think it's pork inside.  The bowl of soup is HUGE.  I don't even eat 1/4 of it. There are tons of noodles, a few little veggies, thinly sliced potatoes, a few pieces of meat, and of course spices.  Today I took my leftovers home, in a plastic bag.  Whenever you get anything take away (or 'to go' as American's call it) they give it to you in a plastic bag.  For lunch at school I eat noodles or rice out of a bag.

The conditions in this restaurant are not the best.  I didn't notice it for a while but I was getting dripped on from a pipe up above.  Hopefully it was water because my head and back were already pretty wet by the time I realized it.  But you can't beat the price and the taste.  I'm going to eat my leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Two meals for around $1.10 - not bad!

No comments: