Sunday, April 17, 2011

7 weeks down!

Dare I say I actually had moments this weekend when I ENJOYED teaching???  Crazy.  I planned some fun activities and games.  When I try a new game I do it with all the classes I can apply it to.  This gives me good practice for explaining / miming it and knowing what works and what doesn't.  Plus if I find out it's fun in the first class I can't wait to play it with all my classes.  This week I found a very simple game that I used in almost all my classes except for the older ones. It's called Magic Word.  Basically they stand in a circle I draw on the floor and when I say a certain word they have to run back to their seats before I catch them.  Words like ball, book, umbrella, banana, mom, dad, etc.  I change the words depending on the level.  It was lots of fun for all and good exercise for me.

It's weird that I have moments when I HATE it and moments when I LOVE it. I think teaching and I will always have a love hate relationship.  Maybe that's how all teachers feel.  My absolute worst class was the very last class I taught this weekend.  Those kids would not behave no matter what I threatened them with. I like changing words in a reading or dialogue to see if they're paying attention. I changed their dialogue a lot, drastically, with words they know, and read it through twice - they didn't even blink.  That is how much they were paying attention.  Next week the Chinese Teacher and I decided we are laying down the law because the way they are acting is unacceptable. 

Overall I really like the kids - most of them a lot.  They are so cute when they follow me back to the break room after class or see me in the hall and get excited.  Or try so hard to say something and it still comes out wrong.  As long as they're giving it a good try and enjoying themselves while they do it,  that's all I can ask for.

Another weekend down!   17 more in this term and 24 more to go in the next term!  Yikes, I don't like thinking of it in numbers. 

No comments: