Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My new gym membership!


I've been super anxious to join a gym.  I've seen signs at the park so I figured there must be one close by.  I finally took a picture of the sign so someone could translate it.

I had a few Chinese words prepared to say incase they didn't speak English.  They didn't speak English and they didn't understand my Chinese words.  Luckily there was a woman working out that spoke English.  Just as I started talking to her one of my students appeared at the front desk!  I think he's around 9 and he works out there.  His dad was with him and found it pretty entertaining that his son's English teacher was there causing a scene.  I wish I remembered this kids name.  But he was cute and stood there smiling and laughing.

The woman that spoke English told me the other foreign member comes sometimes with his Chinese wife.  I will not blend in at this gym.  This also goes along with how businesses like to have foreigners at their establishments.  I'm probably paying less than the Chinese members and I'm sure they'll tell potential members they have a foreign member.  Very strange.

The woman helped me bargain with the manager.  I wanted to think it over since I just booked a trip to Beijing but I got scared I would never get the courage to go in again, fearing that the woman wouldn't be there to translate.  The front desk girls mostly giggled at me and didn't try to speak Chinese or English.  We all suffered through and now I'm all set.  They said they're going to teach me Chinese and sent me on my way with a membership and some free gifts.


I'm pretty happy about the bag.  It's the perfect size for traveling.

The cost of the membership was 2,600 RMB or about $400.  Not bad for a year.  It looks like a nice clean place. Very much like the gyms I'm used to in the states. It has a pool, cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, ping pong tables, yoga classes, spin classes, and other classes but the rest of the schedule is in Chinese.  I cannot wait to work out!


No comments: