Saturday, April 2, 2011

I think it's getting easier-ish

This is the course descriptions on the website for my classes. Got it??
I'm hesitant to say teaching has gotten easier because it can go downhill just as quickly as it can go uphill.  This week there is a holiday so the kids go to regular school on Saturday.  Yep, it's strange.  So we aren't teaching our Saturday classes till Monday.  We still teach Sunday as normal.

My Friday classes went very well.  They are some of my favorite classes.  My first class is called English Corner.  It's for 2 levels (C2 &C3) who would like a review of what they learned the week before.  It's completely voluntary.  I get about 8-14 students each week - some of the mothers sit in the class.  Some of the students are from my classes and some aren't.  I've found that the kids who come are not the ones that need the extra practice / review.  They know this stuff.  But it is nice to have students that want to be there and are actually at that level.  The mom's seem to enjoy sitting in on the class.  We play a lot of review games and try to mix it up between the 2 levels.  This week we practiced putting a snake in a box, beside a box, on top of a box, in a box, under a box, infront of a box, and behind a box.  We played BINGO with adjectives and we played Connect 4 in teams where they had to form their own sentences using sometimes, often, always, never.  They were really into calling BINGO and figuring out where to go next for Connect 4 (we don't have the actual game I drew it on the board).

Then I teach a C3 class and a C5 class.  The C5 class is from 7:15pm - 9:15pm. It's late!  It's an especially long day for the students - they've already had an entire day of school.  They are some of my best students though.  They are at the level where they can joke around a bit in English, really listen to what I say, and follow my directions for the most part.  This helps a lot and I wish all my students were like that.  I guess it eases me into my crazy weekend.   AND I know most of their names!   I am proud of myself for that.  The kids respond so much better when you call them by name and I think are much more attentive when they know you know their name.

No comments: