Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I'm officially a resident of China

Remember the Cambodian hospital I had to visit for medical tests for my Chinese visa?

In Xi'an I've gone through a lot more medical tests - blood, chest x-ray, heart monitor machine thing, weight, eye test, ultra sound, blood pressure.  The best part was the surgery room mixed in with all the other rooms.  Yikes.  Luckily I didn't have to find out what was going on in there. 

I also had to register at the police station in my neighborhood with my Visa.

Then I had to go to the PSB (Public Security Bureau) office.  They kept my passport for a couple weeks.  Now I have this:

RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR FOREIGNER IN THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA

After that was finished it was back to the police station to register AGAIN  - this time as a resident.

Then I visited the bank for a Chinese bank account.

When I'm paid my money goes directly into this account and I can use most ATM's to withdrawl it.  It'll be so nice saving money on ATM fees. It will also be nice to get paid after 6 weeks of working!

The Chinese are very strict about who comes in the country and who stays in the country.  One of my fellow teachers actually had to go home because one of his tests came back abnormal.  Of course once he was back home and saw the doctor they said he was fine.   If we have visitors staying with us we need to register them with the police station.  Between my visa, the hospital here and in Cambodia, the PSB, and the police station I've needed at least 20 passport photos.  Now that I'm a resident I can leave and enter the country as many times as I want. 

1 comment:

Richard H. Black said...

Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. criminal rehabilitation canada