Friday, July 15, 2011

'Cooking'

I've started to cook more for myself. Sometimes it's easier, a bit cheaper, and definitely healthier. Chinese food can be healthy because they use a lot of healthy fresh foods. The problem is they pour in a lot of oil (A LOT) and MSG. The stores sell jugs of oil that are probably 3-4 gallons big. Considering I never add oil to my food in the states, unless I'm eating out and it's unavoidable, my body is probably not the happiest it's been.  In the past couple months more often than not I wake up with a bit of a stomach ache.  Don't get the wrong idea, I still love Chinese food - especially in Xi'an -  but I need some control over what is going in my body.    If you know me at all and my huge salad a day habit this has been a pretty drastic change.  I don't cook anything involved.  I've always been the laziest 'cook' and it's no exception in China - especially with the kitchen facilities I have to work with.


I go to the store, buy a few veggies, a bag of eggs, and steamed bread.  I've seen more and more edamame around so I'm assuming this is the season.  It's always been my favorite but boiling it has been a change.  I'm a big fan of the frozen Trader Joe's edamame.  Sometimes I buy rice but I rarely have the patience to make it.  See - I'm a lazy 'cook'.

Yes the eggs break in a bag but an entire bag is usually less than $2.



No comments: