Saturday, July 23, 2011

You're rude!


I just have to laugh at this article.  It's a great example of how China contradicts itself.  It's an article about American sports becoming more popular in China.  However, some parents are against hockey because they think it's a 'rude' sport.  It makes me laugh that a Chinese person would complain about anything being rude. THEY'RE rude.   I would say they can be the definition of rude.  They spit constantly, blow their nose with no kleenex, they push and shove without saying sorry, they throw trash on the ground, they cut in line, they smoke in the elevator, they don't give pedestrians the right of way, they drive on the sidewalk, they stare and point at foreigners, they shout at the wait staff in restaurants etc.  These are all examples of what we would call RUDE in America.  And they don't want to play hockey because it's rude? It makes me laugh.

I suppose a fair question would be 'do the Chinese think they're rude?'.  Some I've spoken to do think Chinese people are rude - specifically in Xi'an.  Overall I don't think would consider themselves a rude society.   The next question - do we consider hockey to be rude? Well, sure but no one would actually call it that.   Everyone knows what they're getting themselves into - it's the way the game is played and no one takes it personally.  I think it's a bit ironic that the rude Chinese people don't want to play the rude sport of hockey.  Especially because neither would actually call themselves rude. 

Disclaimer:  Since I think I have a few Chinese followers now I want to make sure to say I am meeting incredibly kind and generous locals.  I haven't actually had a conversation with anyone I don't like (except maybe my stalker - more on her another time).  I'm sure if I had a conversation with the woman that pushes me out of the way to get on the same bus I'm getting on she would actually be a very sweet woman. 

No comments: