Friday, July 29, 2011

Texting with Zhōng gúo rén

I get some funny texts from my Chinese 'friends'.  They're not all friends - a couple are people I met on the street and for some reason thought it was a good idea to share my phone number with them.  A lot of the time they don't use it.  Sometimes they do use it and provide me with a little entertainment.

My private student sends me some good ones that usually need explanations.  Especially this one:

HIM:  Double you have a free time?  May I cover you
ME:  Wo bu ming bai!  (I don't understand!)
HIM:  My work need, so I have cover US gril.

He works for an online newspaper / news station.  So what he really meant was they needed to interview a girl from the US.  He finally called and passed the phone to his colleague for the interview.  
A while ago I met a college student near my apartment.  He wanted me to help him with his pronunciations so he could pass his next English proficiency test.  His English was pretty good.  I gave him my phone number.  Our first few texts were about the weather and how hot the summer is going to be.  This was my favorite one:
'Teacher Joy...with this hot weather..ready to tears and pray to god...Amen..'  
HUH?!
Then the the next day it was raining and he sent me this.
'God bless you..it's raining'
We didn't text for a while after that. Then I got a goodnight message.  I wrote back xie xie (thank you).  This is what he sent back:
'Thanks for your chinese response.  And good night again with the same best wishes for you, and wish me would hearing from you soon, my message teachter...Joy....'
I didn't respond.  A few days later I got this:
'Hi, Joy.  How about this days?  It's a long time I haven't hearing from you after your 'xie xie'.  I know I'm not intriguing becouse of my poor Chglish...but I'm trying to improve it everyday.  and expect a little help from a nice teacher named Joy.'

I know a lot gets lost in translation when you can't converse in your native language but he must know how he sounds.   I feel that personalities do come out even in the language you're trying to learn - even if it's a different personality than your native language personality.  So I'm not sure I like this personality of Gao So Ray.

I've realized some of these texts are too good not to share so this will not be my last post about texting.

No comments: