Saturday, July 23, 2011

My 100th post!!!


I left Chicago nearly 6 months ago.  Time is flying.

In honor of 100 posts I'm proud to say I've moved into phase three (Adjustment)!  Do I permanently live in phase 3?  Nah.  I still have bad days but the things that annoy me are less prominent.  I am now annoyed with them like I'm annoyed with people who walk slowly down Michigan Avenue or people who don't return the weights at the gym.    They are normal everyday occurrences - people walk slowly, kids go to the bathroom anywhere they want, sidewalks are not just for walking, and life is too short to wait in line. 

I've settled into a nice routine with Chinese classes, going to the gym, studying, writing, teaching, tutoring, and making a couple Chinese friends.  To blend in more I've started pushing people out of the way, starring at foreigners, and carrying an umbrella just for the sun.  I take each day as it comes and deal with what the day brings as it's brought.  I've figured out what's a priority for me here and what I don't need.  I've realized that this Chinese life I have is not bad at all.  I work 2.25 days per week. When I'm not working I don't do anything that I HAVE to do, I do things I want to do.  I'm not tied to my phone or emails.  Life is good! 

Next up:  8 days in the beautiful town of Yangshou.  I am taking my paid vacation time.  When I get back I have 3 fun weeks of classes left (review week, exam week, party week).  Then another 10 days off before I start back up with week 1 of 24.

Here's a few of my favorite posts from the past 100!

You're going where?

Where in the world is Cambodia?

I'm a teacher

You call this driving?!

I'm surprising myself

The Great Wall

It's not ok to smoke near firecrackers

Wuzhen

The honeymoon phase is over

You're rude!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wow, its been almost 6 months! I enjoy reading your blog, your life has changed so much, from liking Cambodia so much more, to telling people Xi'an is home. You also sound like a real teacher :) Enjoy your vacation!

Bryan said...

Wow, thanks for making me feel lazy, just posted my 100th and it took a year and a half.