Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's not ok to smoke near firecrackers!

The Chinese shoot firecrackers off for every occassion.  Holidays, weddings, birthdays, store openings, hotel openings, building a building, and probably lots of other reasons I don't even know.

I think it's funny / really dangerous because they will shoot them off right in the middle of a busy sidewalk with people walking by, motorbikes driving by (on the sidewalk) and cars driving by on the street (sometimes on the sidewalk).

I was walking by this shop on the way home from the gym and I saw the firecrackers lying on the ground with a man standing next to them (practically ON them) SMOKING.  I got out my camera and when I went to take the picture he was bending down - still with lit cigarette in hand.

SEE!  Cigarette in his hand!

I took the picture and quickly walked away.  About 20 seconds later the firecrackers were going off.  No one said watch out or blocked off the sidewalk.

Maybe this only comes as a shock to me because firecrackers are illegal in most parts of the USA and I grew up in a city.  It seems that most people who shoot firecrackers live near a big open field or in the country so this could never happen in the US.  I haven't heard of any accidents in China but they must happen pretty often.  Rarely does a day go by when I don't hear fire crackers.



No comments: