Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My favorite classroom activities


Over the past 15 weeks I've learned what I like to do with my students and more importantly what they enjoy doing.  A class goes so much smoother when we're all having fun.  They always want to play games. Games, games, games.  I try not to just play games that involve throwing a ball in a net but actually involves learning or practicing what they've learned.

Here is a small list of activities I do with my students:

Line game - There are 2 teams.   They form 2 lines in front of me.  I say something like hot to the first person from each team and the first person to say cold sits down.  The person that wasn't quick enough goes to the back of the line.  Which ever team is sitting first wins.  It's easy and they love it.  Plus, they don't even realize they're learning and practicing.

Switch seats - I say switch and they all change seats.  I jump in and sit in one of their seats.  Which ever student is left standing has to answer a question or form a sentence using the target grammar or vocab.  They like this one because I play too. 

Hot seat - One student sits in front of the board. I write a word on the board and the other students have to describe that word in English.  They love to cheat and say Chinese words but then they lose a point.  This is a really fun game and helps them use more vocabulary.

Memory games - They seem to enjoy anything that involves remembering things.  Sometimes I bring in a bag of random things and they have to write sentences about what was / is in the bag.  I will also write a list of animals or things in a classroom on the board and they have to remember the list in order.  I time each student and it becomes quite competitive to see who can remember the most words the fastest. 

Brainstorming -  I like doing this with different categories because they always surprise me with English words they know.  I'll do it with any category - food, animals, classroom, places, etc.

Flashcard sumo wrestling
- This isn't actually wrestling.  I put a flashcard on each back of 2 kids so neither of them can see what the other has on their back.  When I say go they have to try to see what is on the other kid's back.  It's very funny actually.  I do it with the little kids and the parents always find it entertaining. They look like sumo wrestlers the way they spin in a circle trying to see the card.

Counting games
- These are a great reviews for any age.  Go around the room or circle and count to 15.  When you get to 15 that person sits down.  Keep going until 1 student is left.  Obviously there is no skill but they still find it fun and want to be the last man standing.  Another counting game - Clap or say fizz instead of a number.  Could be any number with 4 in it.  Or 7 in it. Or for a real challenge 4 and 7.

Chinese Whispers - This is also called telephone. It's a good way to practice pronunciation and listening.  All ages can do it.  I also like to have the last person draw or write the word instead of saying it.

Anything where they have to draw on the board
- A zoo, in/on/under, opposites, action words, etc.  It can be a game or just fun.  They always want to participate.  It's fun with little kids and big kids.


Magic word
- This is fun for little kids and really activates their listening skills.  I draw a circle on the floor and we all stand in the circle. I tell them the magic word is 'red'.  When I say red they all have to run back to their seats.  So I say all different words until I get to red.  They get very excited and run back to their seats.

Connect 4, Jeopardy, Tic Tac Toe, Bingo, baseball are all high speaking games with some skill to them.  The older kids love to play.

The more work I put into planning a variety of activities the faster and smoother the weekend goes.  I'm always looking for new ways to make learning English interesting.  I know these kids don't usually want to be in a classroom on the weekend so I think the more fun the better.

No comments: