Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Children's Day!

Today is Children's Day in China!  That means there is no school and there are children EVERYWHERE.   There are activities going on in malls and parks.


My friend and I were walking in the park of the Big Pagoda when this girl came running up and got in front of us.  She was about 8 years old and said 'You two are beautiful.  I wanted to tell you.'    After she said that I was waiting for her mom to run up with a camera but instead she gave us each a hug.  It was the sweetest thing.   This is a gutsy girl.  She knew exactly what to say in English to get her point across and never got a camera out.  I wasn't sure what to make of the whole thing until after she walked away and I realized she had no other motives except to tell us we were beautiful in English and give us a hug.    Pretty awesome and sure made our day.

It's a fun holiday for the kids.  I'm not so sure the parents were having as good of a time as the kids.  The Chinese I've spoken to about Children's Day were very surprised we don't have this in the US.  If I was still a kid I would say of course we should have it!


No comments: