Thursday, June 9, 2011

Safe Sex

I've only seen these signs in one park so I'm wondering if they have a problem there.  Everyone lives with their parents until they get married - or many times even after they get married.  So I know finding a place to spend some time 'alone' is a challenge.  I've heard the karaoke rooms are popular.   In Asian countries you rent a private karaoke room with your friends.  When we've rented a room before it was ours until 6am.  It looks like the park is also a popular place!  Both pictures say the same thing - SEX IS GOOD - JUST PLAY SAFE.  I think the choice of using pigs is an interesting one.

The Chinese don't seem to want to talk about this openly.  The boyfriend of one of our Chinese teachers at school recently moved back to Xi'an.  She is one of the only girls I've met that doesn't live at home with her parents.  She has an apartment with another Chinese teacher.  So I asked her if her boyfriend was also living with them.  I didn't realize at the time but she never answered me, she changed the subject.   I asked her again a few days later because I couldn't remember her answer.  She said I've asked before but she didn't answer.  It is not something they do very often here and she was embarrassed about it.  She was DEFINITELY not mentioning it to her parents.    I didn't even try to bring up sex.

Luckily my friend Vanna who I met while traveling is an open book.  She said there are many girls that want to wait until they're married to lose their virginity.  If they don't wait and they get pregnant abortion is the most popular option. It's taken care of with probably no one else knowing.   The men don't care about waiting till they get married.  

This is just one opinion from the south of China, I'm not saying they all believe this or even the majority. I know it's different everywhere.


No comments: