Sunday, February 6, 2011

Where in the world is Cambodia....



I don't think many people know where Cambodia is.    I didn't know exactly where it was located until I looked closely at the map.  It borders Thailand to the north and west, Laos to the northeast, and Vietnam to the east and southeast. The country is almost 70,000 square miles.
The capital is Phnom Penh - which is where I will be living for the next month.


The language they speak is Khmer.


The population is approximately 1.5 - 2 million people.   (I keep reading different numbers)

I arrived here late Saturday night on a flight from Korea.  There were other Language Corps participants on my flight. I also met a girl from Wisconsin who is in Cambodia volunteering at a woman's shelter for 2 months.  She just graduated from college and this is her first time out of the country.  She's brave!

Our ride from the airport was a tuk tuk.  Me and another LC participant loaded ours with 4 suitcases and ourselves.  It was a tight fit and a pretty crazy ride on the dark around streets of Cambodia (it was around midnight)

I am staying at the Language Corps villa.   I'm at the front of the building and there's a balcony right outside my door.

The noises I heard last night and this morning:
Birds, lots of dogs, a man chanting, a man hocking up a lugy, the same man blowing his nose, babies crying, construction, music playing, honking, motor bikes, an animal making a really weird noise. I didn't sleep very well. The noises are going to take some getting used to.  They're different than city noises in states.

Others staying here started to appear this morning.  One girl is from Spain and another from England.  We walked around a bit and stopped in a small cafe.   In the cafe they had the WWE fight on the main TV (the one Americans are watching Saturday night) and cartoons on the other 2.  This was at 9:30am on a Sunday morning and the fight was in English.  We were the only gals in there and got quite a few stares, no one really spoke English.  There were posters of girls on the wall - some were topless.  We finally were able to communicate that we wanted hot coffee with no milk and no ice.  It was actually really good and only cost $1.00 for 2 cups.

(FIGHT IN THE MIDDLE - CARTOONS ON THE SIDES.  LAWN CHAIRS TO SIT ON)

No comments: