Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baggage



There's a lot of baggage to shed and a lot of baggage to pack to get ready for a trip like this.

Packing for a year is tough.  Since I've been living out of suitcases for the past couple years anyway, the tricky part is figuring out what I need to bring with me that I can't get in Asia (more on that in future posts).  I got rid of a lot - mainly clothes. But there is still quite a few things at my parent's house - in my room -  from all 30 of my years. 

I went to my doctor who recommended Hep A & B shots, a Typhoid shot, a Polio shot, Malaria pills, and Cipro pills.  I feel prepared against diseases at least.

Baggage I'm hoping to shed includes boyfriends, ex boyfriend's, addictions including but not limited to sugar, caffeine, iPhone, TV, TiVo, Internet, Facebook, and checking email every 5 minutes.  Don't judge -  most of you have the same addictions.  Once I detox in Cambodia and settle into China I'm sure I'll work a smart phone back into my life.  Why should we live without google maps or picture messaging if we don't have to?  Especially when it involves keeping in touch with friends and family in the US - and finding my way around a completely foreign country.  (Boyfriend's of all kinds:  I'm just kidding.  Love you guys.)

In honor of shedding baggage I unsubscribed to a few dozen email blasts.   I didn't realize how much junk I was getting until I didn't just delete them but went through and actually unsubscribed.   I feel lighter already!

The snow storm forced me to see people a little quicker then I would have liked.   Sadly there were a couple people I missed saying a final goodbye to.

Saying goodbye is the hardest part.   Hands down I have the most amazing and supportive family and friends.  I couldn't have decided to do this without support.   There will be a lot that I miss in this year but I really hope everyone keeps me up to date with what is happening in their lives.  I will be hurt if you had a baby, got married, got divorced, moved, got a new job, quit your job, met your significant other, etc without telling me!

Next post will be from Cambodia!

No comments: