Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Great Wall

The Great Wall of China is nearly 5500 miles long!  They started building it in 220BC and finished during the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644).  I signed up for the trip at my hostel.  The group was 30 - 40 people from different hostels / hotels in the area.  There are a few ways to access the wall from Beijing.   I chose the Mutianyu tour. 

To get to the wall you can either walk or take a cable car.  I walked up the stairs.

Many many stairs.

Once at the top you can go right or left.  If you go left it's a long way to the end. You can take a cable car up mid way and then walk the rest.  I wasn't sure I had the time or energy to go this way so I went right.  I walked to the end. 

It was pretty amazing, breathtaking, everything I've heard.  When I got to the end I decided to sit in one of the windows, enjoy the view, and relax for a bit.

It is hard work walking on the wall.  It is all up and down.  I don't know how people did it with sandals and wedges.


The wall was definitely a highlight of my trip.  I would imagine I'll be back to the wall at some point in the next year. 

No comments: