Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journey to Beijing

I really didn't think it would be a journey to get to Beijing.  I was flying within China and I was flying, not taking a train.

Bus in Xi'an to city center = 20 minutes
Bus to the airport = 60 minutes
Plane to Beijing = 120 minutes
Bus to Beijing city center = 60 minutes
Subway to hostel area = 10 excruciating minutes

There were highlights on each leg:

On the bus to the airport in Xi'an I met a 20 year kid who had never spoken to a foreigner before and wanted to practice his English.  He was very nice and very nervous.  It was interesting to talk to him and learn about his life. He went away to school when he was 10 years old because he wanted to go to the best school.  He follows the NBA and knows more about the Bulls than I do.  Some of his American  favorites:  Hancock, Gossip Girl, Prison Break, The Big Band Theory, Mariah Carey, and the Backstreet Boys.

I saw this newspaper article on the plane:


The highlight for the flight was actually landing safely on the ground.  There were no clouds so I could not figure out why the plane felt so out of control.  As soon as I got outside the airport I figured it out - REALLY strong wind.

I thought the bus to the subway would be easy.  But I seemed to be the only foreigner attempting this way into the city and the workers didn't speak any English.  Luckily my tutor drilled me this week about buying tickets, and everything you need to listen for and say on all kinds of transportation.  Every bit of it came in handy. 

The subway here is pretty insane.  I've taken public transportation in many cities but Beijing wins the prize.  You go through security before entering the subway (they call it the metro).  Then you walk up and down stairs to get to the line you want.  Once you're there you wait in 'lines' and the worker at the front of the line crams as people as she can onto the train.  I had my luggage with me so this was incredibly difficult. Especially getting off. I can't believe I got off at the right stop.  I thought the buses in Xi'an were crowded.  They are nothing compared to this subway.

Then I wandered with directions in hand to find my hostel.   After wandering a bit, getting completely wind blown,  and feeling like I was close but not close enough - I tried to take a taxi.  The taxi driver wanted nothing to do with where I was going.  He said it was just around the corner.  I later learned from a French girl at my hostel that cab drivers only like to drive long distances in this city.  I was at least 1/2 a mile from my hostel and had luggage.  He still did not want my money but gave me directions to the my hostel.

I finally made it!


No comments: