Friday, May 6, 2011

Can I take my picture with you?

It's very strange to have people come up and ask to take a picture with me.  It happened a lot more in Beijing then it has in Xi'an.  Probably because I was in very touristy spots.   There were mostly Chinese tourists and they've traveled from rural areas where they've never seen a foreigner. 

These women were really funny.  They first stopped and took lots of pictures with the French guys at the table next to us.  Then they saw me and wanted pictures.  How can I top 3 cute French boys?? 

When our tour group first stepped foot on Tiananmen Square we were listening to our tour guide and all of a sudden these 3 older Chinese men were standing with us like they belonged but staring at us.  I wish I would have taken a picture but in my mind it's a very funny memory because they were so quiet about it.  Usually they point, talk about us in Chinese, talk to us, or take our picture but these men were just standing there with their hands folded in front of them with a fascinated look on their faces. 

I've said it before but it's still hard for me to put myself in their position.  In every city I've lived there have been foreigners.   I can't think of a nationality that would surprise me in Chicago if I saw them walking down the street.

One night Mariola and I were sitting at this bar in the middle of the mall having a beer.
It was a perfect place for people watching because that window looks right onto the mall.  One couple was so sweet about taking a picture they bought us another beer.  They were pretty awesome.

No comments: