Monday, May 16, 2011

The mystery meat is......

pig kidney!

If you remember I wrote this post about playing menu roulette.  I don't think I'll order it again but it really was pretty good for being the kidney of a pig.

The other one is shredded pork.  I would order it again.
My roommate and I have had some success pointing at dishes we see in restaurants - except for one night when we got this:

It didn't look like anything we'd eaten before and had a strange taste.   The meat was intestines.  It was definitely something I wanted to try but not something I'll purposely have again.

Today we had Chinese class at a restaurant and learned more about foods and the menu.  There were some interesting foods on it you don't see everyday - well, outside of China.  This seems like a pretty standard menu in China.

Ox feet
Intestines
Fish - they eat the entire fish except the bones.  Eyeballs and everything.
Fish skin
Goose feet
Pigs feet
Pig skin
Arm / leg of a pig
Beef belly
Pig's ear
Black chicken
Frog
Aloe
Fungus (a bit different than mushrooms it seems and actually really good)

There were some new foods on the menu I hope to be trying soon!   Specifically one with fungus and walnuts. 

No comments: