Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A challenge

The title of my blog is 'Joy's and Challenges Abroad' so here we go with a challenge!

My wallet was stolen on the bus.   This would be the THIRD time in 12 months I've had something stolen right out from under me. It happened twice in Chicago and now once in China.  This time I didn't actually see the thief.  I was on one of the most crowded buses I've been on.  I was getting ready to get off and I looked down at my bag, the flap was a bit out of place and there was someone's jacket kind of on it.  At first this didn't seem suspicious.  I almost apologized to this 'jacket', I didn't actually see the person it belonged to.  But as I was walking off the bus I had a really horrible feeling.  Maybe someone was taking my wallet and using the jacket so no one could see.  Why did he have a jacket anyway??? It was at least 80 degrees.  I got off the bus, took everything out of my purse - no wallet.  I thought forsure I had just forgotten it at my apartment. I jumped back on the bus going the other way - I had enough change in my pocked for bus fare luckily.  I really thought I would get up to my apartment and my wallet would be there.  The more I thought about it the more I didn't think it was possible that someone actually went into my purse and took my wallet without me realizing. I had a bunch of stuff in there and I'm pretty sure my wallet was not at the top.  To get home and not see my wallet on my desk or bed was a terrible feeling.

Thankfully it could have been so much worse.  I almost made a big withdrawl before getting on the bus because I have a bill to pay at the gym.  I had taken out my USD last week so I have enough money to get me by until my credit cards come.

I've learned a few things from this experience:

-Keep some money away from your wallet and purse.  If you're traveling keep it in your suitcase.  For me,  I keep extra money in my bedroom.

-Don't carry all of your credit cards with you.  Leave one at home or in your suitcase for emergencies.

-My friend heard that you should keep your phone number in your wallet because thieves like to return the wallet after they take the money.  Isn't that nice of them?

-Even though you might think your purse is safe from thieves you can never be too careful - always keep it close to you.

-Bank of America can overnight a new debit card to CHINA.  It still takes 3-5 days to get processed but as long as they have my address correct and FedEx can find my school I should have it by Monday at the latest.

-It takes SEVEN days to get a new Chinese debit card.  I am IN China, at the bank I opened the account, and they won't give me any money or a new card for 7 days.  I was not happy about that and couldn't even yell at them because they barely spoke English.

This was a good reminder that I need to be more careful. For some reason I seem to need these reminders every 6 months or so.  I don't know why I look like someone that can be taken advantage of and it bothers me.  I feel like in all three instances it could have been worse and I'm thankful it hasn't been. 



No comments: