Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Night Market

Not far from my hostel was the famous Beijing night market.  There was a huge variety of foods. I wish I could have tried everything!   Ok, not everything.  There were bugs on sticks that didn't look too appetizing - see below.




These bottles were EVERYWHERE in Beijing but I've never seen them in Xi'an.  I wanted to try one to see what the big deal was but it was a disappointment.  It's just yogurt.  I gave up Chinese yogurt after me and a couple other people got sick - PROBABLY from eating yogurt (which I assumed would be safe).  It's a clay pot.  You drink it and give it back to the vendor.  There must be more to the story because I don't get it.

Overall the food in Beijing was good.  We had duck for lunch that was really delicious.  The lunches on the tours were also very good.    I didn't enjoy the food more in Beijing than in Xi'an.  Maybe I didn't eat at the right places but I think Xi'an has more of a variety of dishes and especially flavors.



No comments: