Saturday, May 14, 2011

Menu Roulette

I've been wanting to do this for a while but I usually chicken out. 

This is what a standard menu looks like here:


I barely know any characters so there's really nothing I can pick out  - this menu is completely foreign to me.  I figure the more expensive dishes are meat of some kind.

This round of menu roulette happened accidentally.  I literally walked into this place thinking it was a place I had been before.  I had my camera out with a picture of the meals I wanted.  I was almost to an open table when I realized this was not the same place.  Honestly, this is an easy mistake.  They all look the same.

I decided to go for it instead of walking out.  I also decided to pretend I knew what the menu said instead of pointing to dishes I saw around me. 

I sat there for a good 15 minutes before my 2 dishes came.  After 5 minutes I was already worried - food comes out really fast in China.  By the time the 15 minutes came around I had no idea what was going to show up.  This is what I got:


The best part about the food in Xi'an is that every thing tastes different.  It's really amazing.  This was definitely no exception.  The weird looking darker meat tasted good, especially the vegetables.  The white meat and asparagus looking vegetable was really good.  There was ginger in it and I don't know what else but I really liked all the flavors. 

I still don't know what the meat is.  Any guesses??  If I had to guess I would say the darker stuff is intestines (totally a guess) and the lighter stuff is some sort of Chicken - maybe not a part of the chicken we're used to eating though. I took a picture of the mai dan (bill) so I will be getting it translated this weekend.  I can't believe how brave I've gotten!


1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are SO BRAVE!!!!!!