Friday, May 27, 2011

Getting to Wuzhen

This post is all about getting to Wuzhen and the logistics when you're there.  I didn't find much on the internet so I thought I would post this incase someone else is doing research.

I flew into Shanghai from Xi'an.  I was looking for tickets to either Hangzhou or Shanghai and Shanghai was cheaper.  I took a taxi from the airport to Shànghǎi qìchē nánzhàn(上海汽车南站)- that translates to the Shanghai South Bus Station.  The taxi was 155RMB.    I didn't know the South Train Station was next to the South Bus Station.  There are long distance buses from the airport to take you to the train station and then you can walk to the bus station.  It's a much cheaper option.

The people I dealt with at the bus station spoke some English. 

This is my bus ticket to Wuzhen.  10 is the waiting area.  20 is the seat number.   I had no idea there were seat numbers on the bus and I sat in someone's seat.  Whoops. 

 This is the train station waiting area.  I figured out the characters for Wuzhen but you can also wait until the time of departure appears on the screen.


When I arrived in Wuzhen I had already booked a hotel on elong.com.  I had the address in Chinese characters to show the rick shaw driver.  BUT there is a bus that goes to the west scenic area where all the hotels are located.  It is bus K350 and it costs only 1RMB.  I paid 30RMB for a ride to my hotel.  The hotel was located just outside the west scenic zone and they spoke zero English. It was nice and each room had a computer with internet.  120RMB / night.

If I was to do it again I would stay inside the scenic area.  There are many guest houses and one hostel.  I visited the hostel.  It was very nice and about 65RMB per night / per bed.  Once inside the scenic zone you have to walk to the hostel but there are signs to help you find it.  It is called Wuzhen Wisteria Youth Hostel.   They speak a little English.

I don't know how much the guest houses cost but every where you turn there's another one.  I didn't find much about them on the internet and I'm not sure if they speak English.

Entrance from the street to the West Scenic area:  (walk through and enter the building inside to buy tickets)



You have to pay to enter both scenic zones.  To enter the West Scenic area it costs 120RMB before 5:30pm and 80 RMB after 5:30pm.  You can buy a combination ticket for both the East and West areas for 150RMB.  They have to be used on the same day but it's very easy to do both in one day.  The east is smaller and there aren't as many restaurants - mainly places to shop.  I would start there and end in the west.   On my first night I paid the 80 to enter after 5:30pm.  Then bought a combo ticket for the 2nd day.    Do not miss night time - it's stunning.



If you stay in the scenic zone pay to enter the first time, then take your room key (and maybe certificate from the hotel) and passport to the office at the entrance of the west scenic zone for a card that lets you enter and exit as many times as you want. 

There is a free shuttle bus that connects the West and East scenic areas.  It's very to use.