Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tianamen Square / Forbidden City


Mariola and I signed up for a tour at my hostel.  In our group was a French girl, a French father and son, a guy from South America, an entire Chinese family, Mariola from Spain, and me from America.   It was an interesting group of people.  Our tour guide walked so fast and left the family in her dust.  They had a child to carry and 2 grandparents.  We had to keep reminding her that we were losing them.  Other than walking quickly she was a great tour guide.

Tiananmen Square is a huge square with TONS of people everywhere.  It is a famous spot for demonstrations.

The monument in the middle is called a Monument to the People's Heroes.
I took this one on the day I arrived in Beijing (worst sand storm of the year but not as many people):


On one side there's a memorial for Chairman Mao. He's supposedly buried there and you can actually see his face.   I didn't wait in line to check this out. Our tour guide said some people believe it is his face, others don't believe it is.  Mao is considered the founding father of modern China and credited for giving the people their 'dignity and respect'.

After that we crossed the street to the Forbidden City.

It used to house the Emperor.  But there are no emperors anymore so it is a place for tourists to visit.  It is amazing - despite the thousands of people there.  He had places built for everything - to sleep, to sleep with his concubines, to eat, to think.  If I ever have a home I'm going to have a room just for thinking.

I think it's very pretty at night:



No comments: